Total Pageviews

Monday, February 23, 2009

A college education does not make a person smarter than everyone else

Now don't get me wrong a college education is a good thing and there are times when I regret not going to college. I chose to stay home and raise 5 kids while my husband (at the time) got the college degree. But when that happened all of a sudden I became stupid. I suppose I never really noticed it until after we were divorced of course and than he remarried a woman with a college degree and than I became even dumber. Even in court he stated that having a college degree made you a better mom. Is it any wonder after 20 years of marriage I lost my self esteem?
Anyway the point of all this is after the divorce I went to school and became an esthetician which is a person that knows skin. We were having a discussion about tans and if they were healthy or not and I stated that a tan is the body telling you that you have had too much sun and it isn't healthy. Oh boy I was quickly told that I was wrong and that college education knew more about skin than a person that studied skin.
Well after everyone was gone I read up on the subject and here is what I found.
"You see a 'beautiful tan' and your immediate thought might be that it is healthy looking, however that tanned look is actually your skin's response to the damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation. Ultraviolet rays from the sun penetrate into the upper layers of unprotected skin, quickly damaging skin cells even before you start showing any signs of sunburn or tan. That 'healthy glow' is caused by the release of enzymes by your skin's defense mechanism, in an attempt to repair the damaged cells--basically your body's cry for help"
Just because I don't have a college degree there are still some things that I feel I have alot of knowledge on and one of those areas is the skin.
Probably anyone who is reading this is saying "ok so what you were right" and really it isn't that big of a deal but what is a big deal is that now even though I'm divorced from the man my son is starting to show the same signs of treating me like I'm stupid and can't have an intelligent converstation and that truly bothers me. It amazes me how you can heal from a controlling relationship but it only takes one incident to bring everything all back again and you start back at square one.

No comments:

Family Photo

Family Photo
Family Photo

Melissa and Chris family wedding pic

Melissa and Chris family wedding pic
The WHOLE family at Melissa and Chris reception

My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones